Press & Analyst Coverage
BigLever & PLE in the news.
Recovery in commercial aircraft demand depends on controlling the coronavirus pandemic. Discretionary air travel drives most transport aircraft needs, and until people feel confident in traveling and governments allow it, the commercial aerospace supply chain must focus on survival.
Despite federal plans to boost COVID-19 vaccination production, President Joe Biden says it will take until late summer to treat most Americans, leaving the possibility of some resumption of air travel demand later this year. Domestic air travel will lead the way, as demonstrated in Asia-Pacific nations and in the U.S. in late 2020.
Automotive engineering has never been more complex. Producing millions of vehicles per year, each one comprising thousands of parts and features, is unmatched in manufacturing.
Automotive manufacturers must also incorporate an array of next-generation features that require seamless interoperation of formerly standalone subsystems to enable more autonomous operation and higher-level user interactions. Today’s vehicles must respond to the driver’s slightest intentions while providing safety and reliability in the most extreme conditions. To meet this challenge, manufacturers are installing increasingly sophisticated software and electronics, adding complexity that increases the potential for costly defects and recalls.
September 8, 2020
Just look at the blitz of television commercials about new car models and the dizzying array of new features to satisfy all types of drivers, and you can see that product portfolio managers have their work cut out for them.
Automakers must produce millions of vehicles per year, each with thousands of parts and different capabilities, including a slew of next-generation features and advanced technologies. Given the growth of these features, along with ever-expanding options to meet different driver lifestyles, portfolio managers must select the right assortment for each consumer persona. This occurs at the beginning of the product lifecycle—the product portfolio planning phase—when they must carefully evaluate which new innovations and capabilities will be incorporated into their products. These decisions are critical to stay competitive and determine where their resources should be invested.
Avoiding costly defects – and quickly finding and fixing those that occur – is a critical priority for all manufacturers. And it’s increasingly difficult because of mounting product complexity.This challenge is particularly acute in the aerospace and defense arena where advanced technology with highly interconnected systems, software and electrical and mechanical parts must be integrated with seamless interoperability.
- Fortune Business Insights: Product Life Cycle Management Market to reach USD 26.73 Billion by 2026; Deployment of Cloud-based Solutions to Fuel Market – November 8, 2019
- Aerospace Manufacturing & Design: 2 best practices for protecting restricted information – October 19, 2019
- Advanced Manufacturing: PLE – Creating Products in Classified Environments – September 9, 2019
- Advanced Manufacturing: The Road to Zero Defects – July 13, 2019
- Industry Today: Feature-based Product Line Engineering Puts the Power in the Hands of Product Portfolio Management – June 10, 2019
- SD Times: New Guidelines for Feature-based Product Line Engineering Now Available – June 6, 2019
- Design World: A Focus on Feature Simplifies Product Lines – April 23, 2019
- Industry Today: Driving Towards Zero Defects – November 19, 2018
- Jama Software Blog: Feature-based Product Line Engineering – Translating Engineering Gains Into Strategic Business Value – July 2018
- Advanced Manufacturing: Taming Complexity, Variation in Automotive Engineering with PLE, Digital Twin – June 19, 2018
- Design News: Using PLE to Create Digital Twins — April 26, 2018
- Strategic Finance: Digital Twins Invade Industry — March 1, 2018
- Today’s Motor Vehicles: 2018 Outlook — February 8, 2018
- Automotive Design & Production: What Are Digital Twins and Digital Threads? — January 23, 2018
- ENGINEERING.com: PLE and the Birth of the Digital Twin — September 7, 2017
- Aerospace Manufacturing and Design: What is product line engineering (PLE)? — August 9, 2017
- Embedded Computing Design: The birth of 30 million digital twins — Transforming the engineering
lifecycle and manufacturing feedback loops — August 8, 2017
- Embedded Computing Design: Product Line Engineering — Intelligent manufacturing for intelligent
products — February 10, 2017
- Manufacturing Engineering: Q&A with Dr. Charles Krueger — PLE Helps Engineering Teams Reduce Product Development Complexity — February 8, 2017
- Digital Engineering: A Product Variation Flight Checklist — October 3, 2016
- Digital Engineering: BigLever Stakes PLE Claim In The Enterprise — September 20, 2016
- Design News: Product Line Engineering Gets a Visual Makeover — May 11, 2016
- Tech Clarity Spotlight Article: Successful PLE for the Entire Product Line — Removing Time and Cost for Systems Development — April, 2016
- ENGINEERING.com: BigLever’s Push for More Comprehensive Product Line Architecture Strategies — April 21, 2016
- Manufacturing Engineering: Using PLE to Control Product Variations — March 1, 2016
- Embedded Computing Design: The theory behind product line engineering — Nov 12, 2015
- Desktop Engineering: Product Line Engineering 101 — Nov 2, 2015
- Automotive Design & Production: Managing Product Lines by Focusing on Features — July 29, 2015
- Gartner Report: Cool Vendors in Product Design and Life Cycle Management, 2015 — April 8, 2015
- Industrial Embedded Systems: A new paradigm for product line diversity, variant management, and complexity management in manufacturing — March 31, 2015
- Digital Engineering: PLM Joins With PLE To Address Product Line Complexity — Feb 16, 2015
- Ovum Analyst Report: Software is prompting integration of product line engineering and product lifecycle management — Jan, 2015
- Automation World: BigLever and Aras Bridge the Engineering Gap — Jan 27, 2015
- Joe Barkai Blog: BigLever and Aras Deliver Product Line Engineering Integration — Jan 27, 2015
- Industrial Embedded Systems: BigLever Software Introduces the Industry’s First Integrated Product Line Engineering and Product Lifecycle Management Solution — Jan 26, 2015
- Military Embedded Systems: U.S. Army’s Live Training Transformation Product Line Inducted into the Hall of Fame at the 18th International Software Product Line Conference — Jan 12, 2015
- Joe Barkai Blog: Design Reuse – Reusing vs. Cloning and Owning — Oct 13, 2014
- John Day’s Automotive Electronics: Advanced Product Line Engineering Puts the Auto Industry in Overdrive — Aug 28, 2014
- Industrial Embedded Systems: Human out-of-the-loop manufacturing — June 6, 2014
- CrossTalk: Second Generation Product Line Engineering Takes Hold in the DoD — Jan/Feb, 2014
- Analyst Chad Jackson Lifecycle Insights Blog: BigLever Software – Third Leg to the Platform Design Stool? — Dec 3, 2013
- Desktop Engineering: BigLever Software Announces Gears 7.2 — Aug 30, 2013
- SD Times: BigLever gets product line ‘family trees’ in Gears 7.2 — July 12, 2013
- SD Times: BigLever Software delivers new bridge integration solution for Sparx Systems — Feb 20, 2013
- Army Acquisition, Logistics & Technology (AL&T): Second-Generation Paradigm — April 2012
- EETimes: BigLever Gears up Ver. 7.0 for software engineering — June 7, 2012
- SD Times: Bridges built to Hadoop, product-line engineering — May 24, 2012
- Austin Business Journal: BigLever Software Makes Gains — Dec 16, 2011
- SD Times: Reuse is an event, but sharing is a journey — July 18, 2011